Nick Kyrgios in the News Again

Controversial Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios is once again making rounds on the internet. The recent surge in Kyrgios’s popularity has come after the 26-year old berated netizens for comparing him to Australian Bernard Tomic. 

The tennis star has maintained his controversial demeanor and style on the internet during the current pandemic and hasn’t shied away from throwing jibes at fellow stars. 

Nick Kyrgios is once again making waves on social media after a rant at people comparing him to fellow Australian Bernard Tomic.

The 26-year-old has been a controversial figure on social media throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, and he wasn’t reluctant to air his views once again after the perceived slight.

“I got compared with Bernard Tomic today and I’ve never felt more insulted,” Kyrgios wrote.

Does he have a foundation? Does he have the accomplishments? Did he raise money for the bushfires? It’s disgusting, man.

Do your research. Oh and by accomplishments I mean beating the big 4 [in reference to wins over Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic].”

The tennis star has also confirmed his presence in the ATP Mallorca Championships at the Calvia Country Club from June 19-26. Nick’s presence in the tournament was confirmed by tournament organizer Toni Nadal in a recent interview. 

Nadal went on to speak about the importance of players like Kyrgios in the tournament and how they increase viewership. 

He is well-known all around the world, and he guarantees a spectacle,” Nadal said.

Let’s hope he meets [Mallorcan] Jaume [Munar] in the final.

In more news, tennis legend Rod Laver has called for Nick Kyrgios to be suspended from the ATP tour on the basis of the consistently bad behavior he has displayed. The 26-year-old Kyrgios has, on multiple occasions, shown signs of outburst during games and set a very poor example for kids watching the game. 

Whatever they have done hasn’t worked so far, so maybe a suspension is the only answer,” Rod Laver told The Sydney Morning Herald in a recent interview.

I’m not sure he’s learned anything from any of the things that have gone on.”

Nick is Nick, unfortunately,” Laver said. “He could have been, or still could become, a world champion because of his serving ability, his game.

Novak Djokovic’s Father Takes Aim at Roger Federer

Serbian ace Novaj Djokovic might be on top of the tennis rankings currently, but the Djokovic family is popular for their abrasive comments more than the quality of the tennis they play. The Serb’s father, Srdjan Djokovic, recently took at legend Roger Federer and threw a number of allegations at the Swiss star. 

“[Djokovic and Federer] have developed a kind of respect over the years, but why do you think he still plays at 40?” Srdjan Djokovic said about Federer in a recent interview. 

Imagine that, a 40-year-old man still plays tennis, when he can go home and do some more interesting things. But since both Nadal and Novak are breathing down his neck, he simply cannot accept the fact that they will be better than him. Go man, raise children, do something else, go ski, do something. Tennis is not my whole life, it is just my son’s current hobby. He is only a tennis player at the moment,” added the Serb’s father. 

15 years ago, he attacked my son while he was still young, aged 18 or 19,’ he said.

‘[Federer] knew that someone was coming who would be better than him.’

I said then he was a great champion, the best at that time, but as much as he is a great champion, he is not as good a man.’

The comments by his father have taken Novak Djokovic off guard, as he didn’t see these coming. When asked about the statements during a recent media encounter, Djokovic was unaware of these allegations. 

Novak Djokovic, though, did mention that he has trouble agreeing with his father at times.

I love him, he is a great support of mine,” Novak Djokovic replied when asked his thoughts on his father’s recent comments.

I can’t control what he says, everyone has a right to speak his mind, but I don’t always agree with everything he says.”

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_i5EmdcxbQ

Todd Woodbridge Berates Djokovic’s Players Association for Lack of Inclusivity

Tennis ace Novak Djokovic has carried on with his plans to form a breakaway group from the Association of Tennis Professionals or ATP, which has been the governing body for the sports since over 6 decades. 

Titled as the Professional Tennis Players Association or PTPA, the association will represent male players as announced in an email. While tennis legends Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have criticized the association for disrupting unity between players, former world’s doubles number one Todd Woodbridge has berated the association for not including women players and for completely missing the mark. 

It’s just poor judgment at this time,” insisted Australian doubles great Woodbridge in a recent interview.

“Everybody’s losing jobs, millions are out of work, tournaments are struggling to stay up and afloat, and the tour’s been trying for the last six months to get back.

But there’s the biggest downfall of all and that’s … where are the women? If you’re going to do this, tennis is the one sport that’s united in the world with equal prize money. Our majors are played together.

This is tone deaf by the group that has decided to break away. The ATP is the players’ representation.

They’ve got their seat at the table; they want more, they want more control of that.

This is the first week back and they throw this sort of bomb out there? I’m pretty disappointed with the way that they’ve gone with that timing.”

World number two Rafael Nadal also tweeted his concerns and called it a “difficult and complicated” time for the world.

“I personally believe these are times to be calm and all work together in the same direction,” said the Spaniard.

“It is time for unity, not for separation. These are moments where big things can be achieved as long as the world of tennis is united.

Players, tournaments and governing bodies have to work together. We have a bigger problem and separation and disunion is definitely not the solution.”

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWZ94jRemmU

Djokovic Accused of Making Up Fake Injury in Australian Open

Siberian Tennis star Novak Djokovic was recently accused of making up an injury in the just concluded Australian Open. 

Speaking after his victory, a candid Djokovic was happy to shut down skeptics who accused him of telling porkies.

It was a bit unfair at times but it’s neither the first nor the last time,” he said in his post-match press conference.

Earlier, Djokovic added: “I got injured in the third round. It was rollercoaster ride if I can define it in one word. I think it makes even sweeter for me.”

I wanted to keep things quiet and clear for me in terms of talking about the injury or any other stuff. Just keeping it to tennis.”

It’s a muscle tear. It was a muscle tear at that point. I don’t think I’ve experienced that kind of a snap that I had in the third round. I went to an MRI. The MRI has shown a tear. People questioned that. I understand they question my injury, question whether there is a tear. There is. I can get the doctors to confirm that.”

For me it was a huge obstacle and challenge. I haven’t practiced in the days between the matches.

Out of 14 waking hours, Djokovic is believed to have spent 10 hours on the doctor’s table and doing everything he possibly could.

“I owe great gratitude to my doctor putting in a lot of hours and knowledge and know how. I guess we’re all different. I have maybe a great ability to heal. I don’t know,” added Djokovic. 

“I just managed somehow with pills and painkillers and stuff.”

It’s not healed up. I’m going to go and do another MRI tomorrow before I travel back. But I am definitely going to take some time off. I don’t know how long it will take.”

The Siberian won his 18th Grand Slam at this year’s Australian Open and is third only to Federer and Nadal in the all time list. 

YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhuJI-CHew

Margaret Court Not Sent Invitation for the Australian Open This Year

Controversial tennis great Margaret Court has not been invited to this year’s Australian Open. The 78 year old prodigy, who is still in line for her Order of Australia was left stumped at this decision.

Debates raged online after it became public that Margaret Court will soon receive the Companion to the Order of Australia, which is the highest civilian honor in the country. Court was already made an Officer to the Order of Australia back in 2007. 

The 78-year-old has had unquestionable feats on the tennis court, with over 24 grand slam titles, which still stands as the benchmark for singles titles. However, her views on the LGBTQ community and on same-sex marriages have made Court really unpopular with the masses and drew a lot of angry criticism toward herself. Recent news of Court receiving the Order of Australia award has further stoked the fire. 

No, because I loved representing my nation,” Court told 3AW on Tuesday. “When I got the AO it was for my community reach program. We put out 75 tons of food a week. And this was for my tennis, and I think it was a long-time coming.”

I wasn’t one who looked for it. I didn’t know I was getting it. I was very honored when I was told I was. There wasn’t a lot of fuss about it, but there has been a lot of other people who have made a lot of fuss about it.”

Court added further that she wouldn’t come to the Australian Open, even if she was invited. “I’m not coming to the Australian Open. No, I wasn’t invited,” Court said. “With coronavirus, we’ve been so busy with our community work. I haven’t even thought about it.

While Court reiterated her view point that being gay is a curable choice, she further went on to say that a lot of what she said was misconstrued by trolls online. She also talked about the constant bullying and trolling she’s gone through during the last few years. 

I’ve always said what the Bible says,” she said. “I don’t hate anybody. I love people, and I love gay people and transgender people, and we get them into our community services. We never turn anybody away.

A lot of things were said which I never really said, which I think was the sad part.”

“I’ve been bullied a lot in the last few years, and I don’t mind. That’s alright. But if I say anything, then [they say] I’m a bigot and I’m everything else, and I don’t like that,” Court concluded. 

As controversial as her opinions might be, they take nothing away from the stellar career that Margaret Court has enjoyed on the tennis court. Her laurels still stand out in individual tennis and make her a stalwart of the game. This justified the decision to give Court the Companion to the Order of Australia, which is the highest civilian honor in the country. 

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urJvkseYK3s